4.17.2011

Palm Sunday

Been pondering here deep in my lazy-boy for several hours.  I set myself to go image surfing on the topic of what is called “Jesus Triumphal Entry”.  While scrolling around this thought occurred to me-- Why not search  for other images based on recorded scriptures from this historical day?

I hunted for images related to what happened after Jesus came into town that day -  something very unusual is recorded. 

Not the fact that Jesus presence in the city created a public ruckus, that was normal behavior for the crowds around him.  Not that he performed miracles of healing, that was normal behavior for him.  Not that he taught at the temple, that was normal as well.

My pleasurable art hunt resulted depictions of my LORD with a self-made whip of cords driving out the opportunists set up to make a buck, and perhaps even a name for themselves during holy Passover.

Meanwhile my thoughts were pondering: Is it practical thinking that motivates man to tack on “special activities” to what God commands of them, like selling a vat of figs to those who will need to eat for crying out loud?  Or is it more likely self-serving-idolatrous thinking  motivating man to minimize what God views as maximum?

I have recently experienced this Jesus who held a whip with rage in his voice, and in his hand.  I was invited to glimpse his view during such a compassionate rage.  How can rage be compassionate?  Could it be His compassion is for God the Father, His holy rage against replicas man, with ease and justificational thinking, worships. 

During praise and worship time this morning at church I was engulfed with inability to sit--only standing with my hands lifted high felt minuscule-ly appropriate in His presence.  In contrast; I have never, ever, ever, ever felt compulsion, to stand with hands lifted high in honor of my check book or various other facsimiles that my naturally-black-heart has worshiped. 

As for this whip and holy rage - my life has experienced and is settled on the truth that Hebrews 12:11 speaks into my ears concerning discipline given to me by the hand of my God --

12:11 Now all discipline seems painful at the time, not joyful.  But later it produces the fruit of peace and righteousness for those trained by it. 12:12 Therefore, strengthen  your listless hands and your weak knees, 12:13 and make straight paths for your feet, 18 so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but be healed.  (New English Translation at net.bible.org)

Full of joy via mercy of a holy whip wielder, and giddy for the commemorative days this week holds for my heart,

Tink

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

I love it when you ponder!